Monday, April 27, 2009

Vellum Spotlight with "Rock & Roll" Butterfly

Well, I decided to fix this one up so that I could share it with you tonight. At first I had just punched the hole in the vellum and the spotlight effect wasn't as dramatic as I was hoping. I really didn't realize that until I went to photograph it and the spotlight didn't show up. I originally was just going to re-do it using vellum the whole way across, getting rid of the spotlight technique, but I'm really glad I decided to put a scallop around it instead because it really makes the spotlight stand out! I wish I had saved the "before" pictures so you could see what I mean.

Anyway, this is the second of my Mother's Day cards. I've actually decided to re-create the "For You" card with the Flowers in Silhouette stamp that I made a few days ago as the third in the set, so I only have one more to go!


Stamps: Great Friend
Paper: Basic Gray, Whisper White, Baja Breeze Cardstock
Ink: Basic Gray, Baja Breeze, Old Olive
Accessories: Vellum, Summer Love Rub Ons, Baja Breeze Striped Ribbon, Twine, 1 3/8 Circle Punch, Scalloped Circle Punch, Corner Rounder Punch

1. Score 4 1/4 x 11 piece of Basic Gray at 5 1/2 and fold on score line.
2. Stamp stems and butterflies on 4 x 5 1/4 piece of Whisper White. The stems are stamped in Old Olive (stamping twice before re-inking) and the butterflies are Basic Gray and Baja Breeze.
3. Cut a piece of vellum to 4 x 5 1/4. Lay over Whisper White to decide where you want to punch your hole for the spotlight effect. Line up your 1 3/8 circle punch and then remove the Whisper White so you are only punching out the vellum.
4. Punch out a scalloped circle ring from Baja Breeze by punching a 1 3/8 circle and then lining the scalloped punch over the punched out hole. Adhere scallop to vellum.
5. Tie knot in Baja Breeze ribbon and adhere around vellum and Whisper White. I also took a small small SMALL amount of Tombow adhesive and dabbed it in the corners to help hold the vellum in place. If you use too much, you can see it, so be cautious.
6. Adhere Whisper White/vellum piece to card base.
7. Ink the butterfly with Baja Breeze and then lightly roll the edges of the stamp in Basic Gray for the rock and roll effect. Stamp the butterfly onto scratch piece of Whisper White. Cut out and adhere to vellum, only placing adhesive down the center so the wings can "fly".
8. Stamp sentiment onto scratch piece of Whisper White and trim down so that it is the size you want. Use corner rounder to round corners. Punch hole in upper left corner.
9. Cut out two of the flowers from the Summer Love Rub Ons and apply to your "tag"
10. Thread twine through hole and tie it around the knot of the Baja Breeze ribbon. Snip off the excess.

I also think I'm going to make this card for my technique workshop on the 15th...depends on what other creations I can come up with. I just like how many techniques you can show with one card....so this could be a sneak peek! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment